Friday, February 13, 2015

Character Names

I've never had trouble naming my characters.  Not since the early days of CRPGs.  It's not usually an issue for me to decide upon a fitting name for a character or to use one of the many names I've used for real D&D characters or NPCs over the years.

But, when I watch other people play CRPGs or MMOs, I watch them struggle to come up with names.  I never really thought this was a problem until I realized how many people either can't come up with names or don't like to mess with it.

So, I guess we all have our strengths.

One thing that some CRPGs have is a random name generator during character creation.  This helps people either give their characters a name when they don't care about the name, they can't think of a good name or they just need a starting point.

"Lands of Adventure" now has that functionality.

A randomly generated name.
The early version of this works pretty well, but it's currently using a lot of gender neutral names, which I don't like as much as using gender specific names.  So, I will probably revamp it so that it bases the first name off which portrait is selected.

Obviously, selecting a male picture will designate your character as male and selecting a female portrait will set them as female.  I think that's the easiest way to determine sex when it comes to naming (aside from that, the sex of the character doesn't play any other role in the game at this point).

What do you all think of random name generators?  Do you find them helpful?

UPDATE:
It didn't take long to fix it up the way that I wanted.  Maybe an hour.  The game now randomizes the first name based on the sex of the character.  Here's an entire party generated with random names:
Not promising they're all great.
 So, that functionality is now in place for those who might want it.  Before the game is done, I might even add more names just to give a lot of variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment