Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Kickstarter

I've been told by a couple of people that the game looks bland.  That's to be expected.  I'm no artist, after all.  And, art won't be cheap.

So, I've created a Kickstarter for this project in the hopes of funding some of the artwork, and maybe some additional features.  I don't know if it will be a success or not.  I can't know until I try, I suppose.

If anyone is interested in the project's Kickstarter page, go here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/496999626/lands-of-adventure-an-old-school-style-crpg


UPDATE:
After debating all options, I decided to just go ahead and suspend the Kickstarter option.  I had hoped to raise funding to get better artwork for the game, but instead all I got was negative feedback about how the game didn't look professional.

I know it doesn't look professional.  It's not a professional level game.  I think 99% of the people out there probably didn't know what I was trying to accomplish, so I withdrew the funding option.

That being said, if any kind artist out there wants to contribute work to the project, or if anyone wants to donate some work, let me know.



3 comments:

  1. I looked at it and felt it seemed professional.

    Old-fashioned perhaps, but call it "Old School" and that is fine enough. I didn't have time to pledge, but I probably would have.

    Well, best of luck anyway. Maybe look for open source or ask permission to use existing art (and crediting it), especially such art as is already posted on communities like Elfworld or Deviantart. Worst that can happen is that they say no (or don't answer at all - same thing, really)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mage Tower on Kickstarter mentions "After finding 200+ pieces of artwork for the base set in the public domain," - so apparently it is mostly about searching patiently?
      What kind of images are you looking for, exactly?

      Delete
  2. For this kind of game, art is non an issue. SpiderWeb (http://www.avernum.com/avernum3/index.html) did dozen of game with basically the same "shitty" graphics.
    Some people will look for some deep combat gameplay or leveling system. Some will look for a complex story or worldbuilding. None will look for over the top arts (there's ton of AAA game that do just that at the expense of gameplay and story)

    That been said, now that I saw the video I have a few critics. I really think there is room for a game like that: inspired by the Phantasie series.
    Some more tactical game (like the ones by Spiderweb) end up having ultra long ("boring") combat sequence . So there is really room for a game a bit less tactical . But you need some tactic in it.
    It seems, for now, your game lack what I liked in Phantasie: The limb break system; The front/middle/back line gameplay allowing for fighter to have some new move (plunge to reach 2nd line, bow for 3rd, etc); Auto-fight (for when it's an easy fight). From the top of my head, that would be some stuff to enrich your combat system.

    It's a hard balance between too much tactical option making fun game but draining in the end; or having not enough tactical option, making fight a mere button pushing.
    May be you want to concentrate on quest, story, puzzle and exploration, and that's fine too.




    ReplyDelete