Monday, February 18, 2013

Video Overview

 


At least one person expressed an interest in seeing a video of some of the things in the game.  This is a short video that I threw together to highlight some of the things in the game.  It does not cover everything and only hits upon certain aspects within the game.  Also, I tried to do it in a way that doesn't include spoilers of any kind.

I mention it in the video itself, but it should be noted that the recording software I used caused a lot of lag with things on the screen.  Text that should have scrolled smoothly and video effects in combat did not display correctly.  (For example, on the combat screen a person who is hit simply shows a brief red flash instead of the full animation).  I think this is due to the recording software not capturing all the frames (even though I set it to capture everything).

Also, sound effects in the game were not recorded.  I had hoped it would capture them, but it doesn't.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy seeing something about the game.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the video, it's looking good!

    I like how you do resting - it makes the player wait some actual real time to get healed (and adds suspense about being attacked when near death). You could probably remove the "Rest for 1 Hour" if you had a cancel button for the "Rest until Healed".

    Will you have both fixed and random combat encounters? (I like the ability to grind on random encounters so challenging fixed encounters are easier.)

    Concerning the video recording, I've had good luck with Hyperionics HyperCam with the ffdShow codec (both free).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random encounters can happen while the party is resting. At this time, I haven't placed any random encounters in the dungeon, though. It is something I have considered, though.

    My experience has always been that too many random encounters can kill the fun. So it's something I have to be really careful about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed on the too many random encounters being bad.

    Having the encounters happen while the party is resting is probably sufficient to let users grind up before continuing.

    Thinking about the mechanism of that...
    You're hurt so you rest.
    While resting you have a random encounter and win.
    You're still slightly hurt so you continue to rest.
    While resting you have a random encounter and win.
    You're now fully healed.
    Do you prevent further resting if fully healed?
    Suppose I cast a senseless spell to drop my mana.
    Now can I rest again to recover the mana?
    Then a random encounter may happen while resting?
    Repeat the whole process?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works the same as it did in the SSI Gold-Box games, more or less. Except that you can't rest if you're fully healed.

    But even if you did want to try to do what you suggest, you would quickly find that the experience points for killing monsters doesn't compare to completing quests. You *could* grind up that way, but it would take forever.

    I mean, if someone wants to use cheesy tactics to beat the system, I suppose that's up to them. I guess the only thing I can do is put a limit on how many random encounters you can have while resting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If experience from killing monsters is significantly less than completing quests, then that would minimize the incentive to grind.

    ReplyDelete