Monday, November 21, 2016

The Project Evolves

As mentioned in my previous post, I had started working on a new project in December of 2015.  This new project (currently unnamed) uses many of the assets of "Lands of Adventure," and utilizes all the things I learned during the five different times I tried to build that game. 

After nearly a year of work, I am ready to start releasing screenshots and start talking about my intentions for the game.  Like LOA, I intend this to be a throwback old-school CRPG, reminiscent of the kind of games that were developed in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

This time around, I'm also providing a lot of my own artwork to the project (all walls, floors, grounds and skies were done by me).  This helps give the project a style that is consistent.

So, here are the screenshots.

First, the main town, shown here both in the daytime and at night:



When talking to an NPC in the game, players will see a screen like this:


Here's a look at one of the character screens:


Combat in the game is very similar to the way it appeared in the very early versions of LOA.  I choose that style because it was easier to deal with and it keeps everything in the same screen space.  I'm also including the victory page that is seen after the combat ends:



And finally, some random shots of the first dungeon in the game:





As always, any feedback is appreciated.

8 comments:

  1. It looks great, I mean better then before. I wish I know how to do things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to programming, you just have to get into the trenches and start programming. You learn by doing. Start with the basics and the simple stuff and start experimenting. There's really no other way to learn it. And you never stop learning. I still find new things about the language I'm using (C#) all the time.

      If you want to make that learning fun, work on a project that you're passionate about (that's what I did here).

      Delete
  2. I am looking forward to play this game some day. Could you tell me which engine you use for the game or if there are several ? Is free of charge ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. when is this game gonna be updated again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've been busy. Haven't updated the blog in a while. I can see I'll need to add a new update soon. Game is still being worked on and is now a year deeper into development. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  4. OMG! Phantasie combat. This is an interesting take. I loved the phantasie series (c64 best sound IMHO).

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi... great effort!
    You last update here is 2016, saw your post on FRUA on 19th Aug.. looking forward to hear more!

    ReplyDelete