Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Story, Story, Story

It's been a short while since my last update, but things are still moving along.  These days, I'm just working on the events and story of the first dungeon in the game.  It takes a long time to do and it's somewhat tedious, but it will be worth it once it's done.

The problem with it is that it doesn't provide much in the way of screenshots that I can share on the blog.  So, at the moment, you'll have to take my word for it that things are continuing to progress. 

So, I guess this is my monthly "this-project-isn't-dead" post.

I've finished school and have started to look for work (setting things in motion to get a resume together and explore my options).  I'm considering pursuing another degree as well in the future.

For now, though, I'm working on this project in-between everything else.  I want to have at least a demo to push out within a few months.  I hope you're all looking forward to that day.

3 comments:

  1. While trying to code a crpg (I never went half as far as you) I always though that the story was the more boring thing to code.
    Partly cause I'm not really fond of crpg stories even when I play them (ie: I never enjoyed the acclaimed Planescape Torment)

    My point is, good luck in this hard part of game making.
    May be, you can enjoy it more if you consider coding some sort of moding tools for quests (So players can create their own), or some way to make part of them procedural (unfortunately those one always end up being some fetch quest, but who knows)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing the story is definitely not as much fun as actually creating the engine, but it's not totally awful either. Thanks for the suggestions, though. I have been working on different things while doing the story, though, so I find ways to break it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Doing the story is definitely not as much fun as actually creating the engine"

    I'm with you on that, but I have the feeling those who are less coding-inclined would say the exact opposite.

    Looking forward to the demo!

    ReplyDelete