Saturday, July 14, 2012

Progress...Forward And Backward

The last two weeks has seen me with my head buried in the combat engine and working with the spells.  The good news is that the combat engine is 99% done and all the spells are fully implemented.  I am very happy with the progress I've made there.

On the down side, though, I discovered that the font I was using wasn't going to port well across systems without some serious work, I so had to rework most of my screens using another font that is included in all versions of Windows.

Here's two screenshots, showing the old font and new font so that you can compare them.  First, there's the old font:

The old font, which I really liked.

And then there's the new font, which looks similar, but loses a bit of the touch that I wanted for the game.  Still, I can live with it:

The new font, which works.

Some screens are undergoing changes.  As I add more systems to the game, I find new ways to do things.  Sometimes, what was once functional gets reworked into something that is both functional and nicer looking.

Take the character screen.  Originally, it looked like this:

The original character screen.

It was functional, but it needed a bit of work.  Looking at it now, I'm glad I changed it up a bit.  Here's what it looks like now:

The new character screen.

As I build more and more functions into the game, I'm also keeping an eye on how to make the game look good as well.  I think it's important that the game has an easily approachable GUI, and that it doesn't look like it was put together by a three day old monkey with a cast on both arms.

As always, any feedback is appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment